Martindale-Hubbell 'AV' Rated Attorney
Karl Sanders has more than 20 years of experience in real estate development, land use and local government law. His primary practice entails representing clients before local governments and administrative bodies – as well as trial and appellate advocacy in both state and federal court – on issues concerning land use, First Amendment and local government law matters.
Mr. Sanders has been repeatedly recognized for his contributions to the local community and his extensive work in both land use and local government law. Prior to joining Jones Foster, Mr. Sanders’ law practice was based in Northeast Florida, where he was appointed by the Mayor of the Consolidated City of Jacksonville to serve on the City’s Growth Management Study Commission, nominated and selected to be a member of Leadership Jacksonville and named in consecutive years as one of the State’s “Legal Elite” by Florida Trend Magazine.
Mr. Sanders earned his law degree at the University of Cincinnati College of Law, where he served as Executive Editor of the University of Cincinnati Law Review and clerked for a federal judge at the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Florida, earning the distinction as the 1990 “Outstanding Graduate” of the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications.
- Represented numerous national retail chains in successfully securing commercial development entitlements for expansion efforts throughout North Florida and the Florida Panhandle.
- Counseled owners of landmark hotel resort in negotiating DRI entitlements for extensive overhaul and expansion of hotel and convention facilities, oceanfront beach club and condominium development project.
- Established and managed successful land use practice for boutique law firm based in Jacksonville, Florida, including representation of local, regional and national real estate developers in administrative proceedings before local governments and state agencies, as well as litigation in both State and Federal courts.
- Successfully defended and negotiated settlement of multi-million dollar lawsuit brought against the Nation’s largest outdoor advertising company, including extensive re-write of local sign ordinance.
- Served as Assistant General Counsel for the Consolidated City of Jacksonville, responsible for land use and First Amendment litigation at both trial and appellate levels, as well as daily representation of the City’s Planning Director, Planning Commission and 19-Member City Council.